William is so much fun right now. Aside from the “No’s!” and the run of the mill 2-year-old temper tantrums we get now and then, he is such a great kid. He talks constantly from the time he wakes up until the time he goes to bed. One of his favorite games to play right now is where he gives us one of is toy animals and asks us a question. We have to answer using the animal, if we don’t move the animal when we respond he says “No Mommy, I am talking to ducky” (or whoever the animal is at the time). One of the funny things that he does now is use the same language that we do. For example, when we were at the hospital the other day I said “thanks so much” to one of the nurses, to which William replied “Those are such nice words Mommy” in his fake excited voice. It was pretty funny to hear that from a 2-year-old.
William still loves cars and keys. He has now gotten to where he can identify almost any make of car on the road. We were walking to our car from lunch a couple of weeks ago and William looks down to the car next to us and says “Mommy, that’s an Audi”. You should have seen the look that the women walking by us gave, it was hilarious. I told him today that his Aunt Missy was coming to town, and was going to come over to play soon. And he got so excited and said “Mommy, I want to hold Missy’s Honda keys.” How he even remembered that Missy had a Honda is beyond me. My step-mom and dad got William these model Toyota cars, since my step-mom works for Toyota, which William loved to pieces…literally. He had them broken within a few minutes. So I found these cool wooden cars that are meant to be taken apart and interchanged, he has loved playing with those lately (they are called automoblox mini’s) and we don’t cringe every time something gets pulled off. Here they are:
William has actually started reading too. I know crazy, huh? I am not talking like reading novels or even books, but he has started sounding out 3 letter words. It just goes to show when a kid gets excited about something, they can do just about anything. The way this got started was a combination of his love for watching dvd’s (and my desire that they at least be educational), and his unwillingness to poop on the potty. We finally decided that the best reward for William to sit for long periods of time on the potty and try to do a poop, was that he got to watch a little bit of a DVD. So when he said he had to poop he got to sit on the potty and watch a little DVD on our portable DVD player. We then changed that to after he did a poop he got to watch some DVD, because I am sure all of you mom’s out there would have seen where the first option was leading. I got him a Leapfrog DVD called “The Letter Factory” that had gotten really good reviews about helping kids learn the sounds that letters made, and it quickly became one of his favorites. I think it was fun for him to see letters out in the real world and make that connection. He learned all the letters and their sounds really quickly so then we got him the “talking words factory” which he liked even more. This one showed how letters were put together to make words. So, with very little help from me, except for the occasional sit down time where we practice sounding out words together, or when we are reading books and I let him sound out a short word in the book we are reading, William has figured it out all on his own. I keep trying to get him excited about finding out the “secret” in the story by reading the words, and give him lots of praise about how well he is doing with reading, but really I am just glad that he thinks it is fun!
So, cars, keys, letters, and—oh yeah—he loves riding his tricycle now too. That is something we do just about every day because he gets to go outside and expend some energy and I get to walk slowly. Just some of the stuff we have been doing. I had originally had plans to do swim lessons with William, and a music class, but due to my condition that has been put off. It is nice being in California though because we could still do those things in the Fall if I feel up to it.
William has also decided that he wants to be a pumpkin for Halloween. I asked him if he wanted to be a spider or a crocodile, and he said “No, the spider will get me.” So I guess the pumpkin is the safe option. I am pretty glad that he wants to be a pumpkin because I think it is such a cute costume and if he gets much older it just becomes too weird to have a big kid dressed like a pumpkin. Mark really wanted him to be a train conductor, since William likes trains so much, but William just wasn’t interested…maybe next year.
So that’s William right now in a nutshell. I am glad I finally got the blog post done about him, before he starts changing again. It is nice to remember what a sweet, good boy we have!

1 comment:
I'm so sorry that I fell so far behind on your life. Congratulations on your pregnancy - it sounds like it will be a hard road. I send you the very best wishes! It sounds like William is doing great - I'm so glad. Don't you just love the conversations you can have with a 2 yr old?
We just finished potty-training Kendal. It was the longest week of our lives.
Thinking of you ...
Post a Comment