September 27, 2010

Out of Commission

William was kind enough to bring us home the flu from his first week at school, so for the last week and a half we have been completely out of commission. It also happened to be right after Mark left for a meeting in San Francisco. It's funny how things like that seem to happen. Luckily Mark was spared, but Elliott got the brunt of it.

He started being congested on Monday night, didn't sleep much at all, and by Tuesday he was a complete mess. I was sure our neighbors were going to call the police. So on Wednesday morning I took Elliott to the doctor and we found out that he had a double ear infection and fluid in his lungs. They think that the fluid might have been due to the RSV virus, but was officially diagnosed with Bronchiolitis. So, they said we needed to do a breathing treatment in the doctors office and see if that improved his breathing enough to send him home with a prescription for Amoxicillan and a nebulizer to continue his breathing treatments. Luckily it did, so we started our breathing treatments every 4 hours.
Here is a picture of our little guy getting his treatments. I decided to wait to take a picture when he was not screaming his little head off, because that's usually how the treatments went. I don't understand why he didn't like it, he looked so cute in his little fishy mask.

Today he is finally starting to look better and be interested in eating again. We went a full week where he didn't want anything to do with food, and it reminded me so much of what we went through with William. I am so glad that we don't have to deal with that again on a long-term basis. We have one more week of antibiotics and breathing treatments and then hopefully we will be good as new.

This week made me so grateful for our health, and for the few smiles we do get from Elliott. I really missed those. It also made me so grateful for Mark. When he got home from his trip he immediately jumped in and helped out. Luckily he didn't have to miss any work, but when he was home he was there 100%, and really helped me get a break when I needed it. We are so lucky to have him in our family!

No comments: